LEGAL COUNSEL - LABEL - REMOTE
Amuse is a new kind of music tech company with a big mission: we are changing the music industry for the better — while taking on the major labels — by building digital tools for the modern artists and their teams. In addition to our artist apps, we also run a record company the way it was supposed to be run: artist-friendly, and innovative with a twist of data and insights.
The Amuse legal team works cross-border to support all of the teams in the company, and in this role, you will focus on being a partner to the Amuse Label team. Our Label team signs artists and develops artist careers. You will be working closely with the team, advising on risk management, drafting contracts and negotiating terms with artists and their teams. Together with your colleagues, you will continuously identify and implement ways to improve and develop working practices and knowledge sharing across the business. As a Legal Counsel for the label team, reporting to the General Counsel, you will play a key role in ensuring all legal & contractual obligations of the team are met.
You will be:
- Drafting and negotiating material contracts (license agreements, collaboration agreements, sample clearances etc), and supporting the label team and artists.
- Help build and develop strong and effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Developing and managing structures and processes to share area-specific legal knowledge with your colleagues in the Legal team to help develop and capture team know-how.
- Coordinating with your colleagues in the Legal team around contract guidelines and directives of general relevance, such as default clauses and risk tolerance levels, and on contract management efforts benefiting Amuse.
- Assist in the enforcement and protection of Amuse’s intellectual property rights.
- The continuous improvement of Amuse’s contracts, deals and philosophy in regards to Music Rights.
Qualities and skills you possess:
We are looking for an experienced, business oriented and enthusiastic team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills. You understand and value business relationships and can deliver commercial and legal advice to colleagues at all levels. Building trust is key.
- You have proven negotiating and influencing experience as well as solid experience in drafting contracts.
- You have a comprehensive understanding of commercial affairs for the music industry, the label process and deal making as well as analysing risk.
- You are fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- Qualified lawyer
- You ideally have 5+ years of demonstrable experience working directly with or for music rights holders such as record labels, negotiating and drafting complex music related agreements.
- Subject matter expertise – a deep and broad understanding of the music rights landscape
- Substantial experience negotiating and drafting a wide array of commercial contracts, with a strong foundation and understanding of contract/IP/copyright law
- You are a self-starter with a demonstrated ability to prioritise, lead and deliver multiple complex projects.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Who you are:
- You share our passion for music as well as our artist friendly values.
- You understand issues relating to intellectual property (including international copyright) as they pertain to the music business.
- You enjoy both collaborative and self-directed projects and can work effectively in each.
- You have a track record of questioning the status quo to achieve positive results.
- You are comfortable with an ever-changing landscape.
- You can see the ‘big picture’ and translate high-level strategy to day-to-day implementation.
- You successfully navigate complex problems by crafting unconventional solutions.
- Scope: Fulltime and permanent
- Team: Legal
- Reports to: General Counsel
- Location: Remote and/or Stockholm
- Startdate: Q4
Note, that because of summer and holidays we have decided to announce this position early, we know that great talent is hard to find and therefore the recruitment process for this position will begin early.
You will be working with a diverse group of talented, motivated, smart, and interesting co-workers. Being part of a startup in its growth phase you will have the opportunity and freedom to influence the work around you. If you do not match the job description perfectly,do not be discouraged from applying! Perhaps you have other skills and qualifications that are relevant for this role? We look forward to hearing from you!